In Their Shoes

I know I've told this story at lest a thousand times, but some things are worth repeating. But, if you think you've heard this enough, then you may be the one that needs to hear it again. In my grandparents small store in Brunswick, Georgia there was a small card that was taped to the cash register. The message on the card read, "I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man who had no feet." Now that was many years ago and I was fairly young. So my quote maybe off, but that is how I remember the statement. 

While the message didn't register right away, the message itself has stuck in my mind to this day. What it has told me over the years is, no matter how tough you got it, there's always someone who has it worse. Which to me also means be grateful for what you have and to never forget those worse off then yourself.

As we slowly come out of the worst economic situation most all of us have faced. I sadly see that some of us have forgotten our charity and have emerged from this with a "my four and no more" mindset. Which for some maybe a product of how you were brought up. So while you are free to be of that mindset, I simply can't allow myself to think that way. It's simply not in my DNA. 

My parents who I'm sure prayed for my poor soul everyday should rest easy realizing the lessons of charity and giving unto the lest of these didn't go unheard. Now recently I mentioned this subject a few weeks ago. But as I stated, it doesn't hurt to be repeat it. Especially to some that throw up barriers as to why they don't or won't open their hearts to others misfortune. 

In fact the holy book I read from it doesn't place conditions on charity. In fact it's a gift freely given to all that want or need it. Many consider me a bleeding heart and if that's a label I must wear, I'll wear it proudly. But for us to accept the gifts we gladly take and to deny charity to the least. I can't sit here and judge, so how can others judge the intent of ones heart when in need. 

I don't want to come off as "preachy" or too hard. But when I think back to those words I read in my youth, how can I feel any other way. But to say, give rather you understand way or not. And trust that the Good Lord judges the intent of the heart. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze