Being Flexible

My oldest daughter recently came into my office flopped down into a chair moaning while she rubbed her arms and back. I looked up from what I was reading and asked, how was your visit to your friends. Earlier she had left to visit a friend, who invited her to a yoga class. Mind you, my daughters is pretty healthy and a runner, but looking at her there you would have thought it was me who'd went to do yoga. 

I bring up my girl's painful experience to make this point. In your professional life, how flexible are you?    

You see, despite the fact that her daughter's a healthy active young women. When tasked to take on new physical demands, her body was moved into positions it had never tried before. With the end result being some very tried and sore muscles. While at the beginning her body rebelled a little, as she has continued to work she wasn't as sore and is now enjoying the pay-off of the classes. 

In our professional lives, sometimes we can be called upon to take on task we normally don't do. I know that in my varied professional life, I've have been called upon on a number of occasions to do things outside my normal duties. While sometimes these tasks were outside my formal training, I've always tried to think of them as a new skill. And, on a few occasions those new skills have led to other work. 

Now am not going to sit here and tell you to take on every meaningless task someone tries to dump on you. What I will say is, especially when working for yourself, don't be too inflexible about what you will or will not do. Because, just as my daughter discovered, being healthy doesn't mean there are no more areas that need work.  

Just some food for thought.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze