Bifocals and other Aches

Several years ago now, I'd hate to admit, I got my first pair of bifocals. It all started innocently enough, I had noticed that even with my glasses on I couldn't read small print very well. Thinking it was simply time to up my eyeglass prescription, I went to the optometrist. While sitting in that funky little chair all eye doctors have you read those letters in, he said to me, "Your long distant vision hasn't gotten worst, your short distant vision has. Congratulations! you now need bifocals."  

My heart sank several inches. It's bad enough to have to wear glasses just to see, now I need them to read. For most everyone needing bifocals is a bit disheartening, it's an outward sign you've reached a certain age. I remember all too well the years my parents got their pairs of "readers". For both of them it was a learning experience, since either one had worn glasses before. My mom especially had a problem misplacing hers and finally resorted to the old chain around the neck. 

You would think since I wore glasses just to see two foot in front of me, I'd take to bifocals like a duck to more water. But believe me they do take some getting use to and they will throw off your equilibrium just for the hell of it. 

As we each travel our own journey of life, we tend to take things for granted, especially in our youth. It seems in a moment we change, we see things differently. Thinking to ourselves that "that came out of nowhere", when in reality it was happening slowly everyday. 

I guess my point to all this rambling is to say, ask yourselves to be more aware. To pay more attention to the things happening in your life. Don't continue to make the mistake of allowing things to just happen, just because. Focus on your moments and live in the now. Time is a commodity we are only given just so much. Don't allow it to just pour through you hands, use it wisely. 

But if like myself, a lot of time has already passed through your hands. Don't waste anymore regretting or morning what has passed. Seize the moments you have left and live them everyday. 

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze