Wearied Thin

This past few weeks have been tough, usually we ride along okay. But for the past ten days we've seen some trouble rase it's ugly head yet again, making us long for easier times. It seems like such a long time ago, when things were a bit simpler. When the work was good and plentiful and it seems we didn't have a care in the world.

But that was many years ago, and for the past four or five years things have gotten tougher. Decisions that had been made are now being questioned. While the direction of our lives wants and needs to change, yet life won't let it. It seems we are caught in some crazed loop of never ending barely making it and missing the brass ring. 

The best way to describe how I feel is that I'm wearied thin. The word wearied has two meanings on Dictionary.com. First is "to make or become weary; fatigue or tire", and the second, "to make or grow impatient or dissatisfied with something or at having too much of something." Either of those define my feelings the last ten days and for the past number of years. I think you now can see why I titled this Wearied Thin.

I guess now you may say to yourselves, "well, we understand your tried and a bit frustrated, so what are you going to do about it?" There lies the $64,000 question, what do I do. I've tried any number of quick fixes for the past number of years. Worked at doing this, worked and doing that, and even set some viable long term goals I've successfully completed. Yet here we are no better off, and if nothing else worst then we were when we started.  

I guess the first thing you have to ask yourself is, where do we go from here? Again, another $64,000 question. Where do you go?  

First thing is to not get too mad at yourself, especially if you were really trying. One of the worst things you can do is put yourself down. Now I'm not talking about self-correction, what I am talking about self-criticism and down right self-abuse. Yes, it's real and many of us do it each and everyday. You may be down on yourself for awhile, but allowing it to fester and grow is wrong and self-defeating.     

Next take an assessment of what your good and bad at. Where do your strengths lie, what are your weaknesses? It's cool, we all got them. I maybe able to put my thoughts down on paper, but don't ask me to run a marathon or sing you a pretty song. You will be disappointed. Now look at those things and see if they line up with your goals. See if they help you to create your dreams. If you need work in areas then fine, work on those areas. 

Now I covered a lot of ground with my dimestore psychology and one-size doesn't fit all. But I hope you get my meaning. Because, most of the time when I write, I'm writing to myself anyway. Just never allow yourself to be stuck in something you don't want. Don't let yourself get wearied thin and give up.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze