What Multitasking Really Means

You know, I've been around the block a few times. And, I've worked in a variety of businesses, with a variety of individuals. I've worked with lazy people, I've worked for really slow people. I've worked for hyperactive people, I've even worked with an alcoholic and a dope smoker or three (don't ask). So when you end up working with such a wide spectrum of individuals you pretty much see every type of management skill set (and I'm using that term very loosely). 

Pretty much in any business you have any number of tasks to get done. Some may have to done in steps, others you may be able to combine. But when it comes to multitasking, I simply don't believe there is a way to get it done. At less not without sacrificing either quality, time, or budget, or all three. True multitasking effects one or more of those traits required to do a good job. 

I've seen way too many of my bosses, including myself, that had the great idea to save quality, time, or budget. Only to throw those ideals out the window with the myth of multitasking. Now this isn't to say someone can't learn a number of jobs or skills. But to ask for them to do all the jobs at the same time is begging for problems, no matter the person or the skill set. 

Some may argue that some task are less important than others, so multitasking doesn't really effect the total goal. That may be true, but that in itself is admitting giving a lack of quality for time. So next time someone brags of their multitasking skills, I'd cast a weary eye. Maybe what that persons really saying, I'm in a hurry and don't want be bothered with you. Or even worst, they really believe they can multitask. 

Either way I'd err to the side of caution. Taking the time to preform the steps necessary to complete a task are not wasteful. In fact the time you may think your wasting isn't if the steps are carried out mindfully.            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze