What If

For the past number of years I've had problems of various kinds, as we all do. One of the major situations I deal with is my mind playing "what if" games with me. When I say "what if" games I mean, let's say I have a difficult test or paper to write in two weeks. Well, my mind or should I say my thoughts will obsess and obsess with the situation over and over. To the point where I am paralysed with fear about the situation. 

For many the "what if" game can be constructive, in that it allows you to go over a problem or situation and create an answer. For me it means stress and anxiety pouring over me for no real reason other than being there. I get a stress headache, my blood pressure goes up, my heart pounds out of my chest, you get the picture. 

It's something that came on me many years ago, that has never really been fixed. Oh, I've been to doctors that seem real good at patching holes or fixing physical symptoms. But never one that has grabbed the problem by the root and pulled it out. So I go on, having good days as well as bad days, simply asking for relief. 

I have found some relief in the current regiment of things I do now. The medications I take are a great help in controlling extremes. Plus I've learned enough cognitive therapy to understand thoughts are just thoughts. That when you look them in the eye, and listen to them, and allow them to fly, they usually do. 

Another very important therapy is telling someone how you feel. Good or bad. I'm reminded everyday we are a social creatures that is not meant to be alone. That having confidence in a trusted friend is a great way to release the tension and worries of the day. 

Lastly, I need to remind myself that others will judge no matter what. No matter how often you shine your armor and remind others of how great you are. There are those who judge if for nothing else but to make themselves feel better about their own dirty armor. 

So as we each struggle to find our way through this life, let us remember. None of us has to be alone and, the "what if's" are just what if's. Just as grandma used too tell me, "What if a bullfrog has wings? Then he won't bump his ass when he hooped."

No truer words were ever spoken.
       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze