Distractions

I’m not one to do a lot of planning when I write. I usually take the time I put in front of the screen and “go with it”. You can call it creative or you can call it lazy, I just think of it as my MO or Modus Operandi. (Hey, I watch CSI.)

My real thought today is about distractions. Recently out of necessity I bought a new smartphone. I was perfectly happy with a landline and my ancient cellphone, but my kids and my clients live in the age of smartphones and instant communication. So just like Clint said, “You improvise. You adapt. You Overcome.”

So while I do enjoy technology and the many convinces it gives us. With those convinces it can put out many distractions. I noticed this morning while enjoying my morning cup of coffee on the porch, my phone kept buzzing every few seconds announcing every email and notice headed my way. While mail and news can be important, 99% of the time these things can be looked at a set time, not instantly.

I suppose my rant today, if anything is, let’s get back to planning our days more carefully. Remembering we are not machines that can be adjusted on a dime. I realize things come up that take your minds off what’s happening at the moment. But as technology offers a great many convinces don’t let it distract you from the moment at hand.


Being present and in the moment creates quality work, that’s a whole lot better than the work strung out with too many distractions. While I may write with few set plans in place, my whole focus is on what I’m doing. It’s that in of itself that creates better quality, attention, and satisfaction with the work.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze