Just Like You

It’s only one in the afternoon and I am spent. Woke up this morning at three am, to help put out a small emotional fire for a friend. Went back to bed, got up, drove to town, went shopping and paid bills; now I’m laying here totally pooped out. It’s not so much the hot weather that exhaust me as much as just getting around. You see, I suffer from Panic Disorder, GAD, and Agoraphobia.

Through decades of therapy, plenty of medication, and a lot of meditation; I manage my symptoms much better than I used too. But there are days when the fear and dread of leaving my comfort zone are a bit too much. My wife is very understanding about my situation. But she is disabled herself, so she depends on me for transportation. As you can see we make quite a pair.

Today while we were on our monthly outing, I felt pretty good. Being my usual loud, obnoxious self; a mask I wear quite well by the way. But as we were finishing things up, I grew more exhausted and withdraw. Now my heart condition may have played a factor. But in all honesty, I think my mental state had more to do with it. So the best thing I can do is fold up the tent, because the show’s over.

I’m not a therapist or counselor, just someone who knows a bunch of them. I’ve crafted my lifestyle to fit my specific needs, but many out there do not have that luxury. All of us that live with mental health challenges do not require your pity or worse yet, your fear.

What we do ask for is a little understanding and respect. Life is hard enough for us without being labelled “crazy” or “psycho”, by the so-called “normal people”. All we ask for is a little respect, because we work hard every day, just to get out of bed and try to live our lives, just like you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze