Mindfully

I got up this morning and had to make an 41 mile round trip to my doctor’s main clinic. I had to go there and pick up some medication and get the results of my recent blood work. Needless to say, I didn’t learn anything new, my cholesterol and A1C are good, and I need to stay more hydrated. (Insert eyeroll) Sometimes I think doctor’s just make up stuff to give them the upper hand.

As I get older, I feel like I’m more in tune with myself. Maybe it’s just my anxiety, but honestly I think my increased awareness has more to do with my mediation. Since my heart attack I have taken up doing walking mediation. A form of meditation where you place awareness on every step, while paying attention to your surroundings, as you focus on your breathing.

This is what I do during my walks, often my wife walks with me in the park. I think she gets the idea of what I’m doing. Although she finds it a little irritating that I don’t talk to her when we walk. Most of the time I’m simply noticing my surroundings. Listening to the birds, noticing the trees, and during the cooler months listening to the movement of the white tail deer. This is also when I do my photography. Maybe this isn’t what Buddha had in mind, but it certainly works to clear my mind.

Life throws all kinds of shit at us. Rather it’s pissed off clients, traffic jams, or 41 mile round trips to the doctor. The thing is, at some point you got to get your sanity back. Now what I do works well for me, but you may have other outlets. Maybe you exercise or fish. Maybe you paint or sing. Whatever it is, have a place to call your own. We all need a moment to center ourselves. Never neglect the feelings of stress and discomfort you feel. Always take a moment to find yourself, mindfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze