In the Late Afternoon

It’s just me and George in the late afternoon, he’s getting a little antsy waiting for his Momma to get home. He’s whimpering while looking out the window. Unfortunately, he doesn’t see any comfort in me. That’s because I’m the adult in the room, while my daughter is “Mommy”, the young and energetic one. All he gets from me is the occasional partner that tosses the tennis ball and puts him outside. You can’t blame me though, after all I’m a cat person; I find dogs to be too…needy.

At the moment I’m reminded of the fragility of this life. The energy and endless possibilities of oneself we all carried and left behind to pursue life. I often joke (much to the horror of my family) about my warranty expiring at age 59. But I mean seriously, my parents didn’t leave me with much of a genetic legacy. But now at age 58, the shits getting real. At times like this, I feel like God’s paying me back for all the times I am a jerk (notice I didn’t say was a jerk).

I suppose I’m paying some sort of penance for a life lived as a rebel without a clue. A life lived just below its potential. But what is potential any damn way? But something you look forward to in the future. After spending so much of my life looking off into the horizon. It’s kinda nice to appreciate what I have here and now. God only knows how much longer I got (I know, sorry). But being in this moment seems to suit me. It leaves me appreciating the little things that life gives. It opens my mind to deeper focus and a greater freedom to just be.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Focus on Living

Blowing Breeze