Measuring Success

When running a race or playing a game, it's easy to measure success, mainly because you either won or not. I life however, things aren't so black and white. At any given time you can read or watch a story about the latest successful star heading to rehab due to whatever problems in their life. While you may have a friend or family member who doesn't have two pennies to rub together and they're as content as they can be. 

So how should we measure our success? And, just because we don't measure up to others standards, does that make us failures? These are questions that weigh on me from time to time. And, each time I think I have the answer, the line blur and I end up asking the same questions again.

Today is no different, I find myself asking questions about my successes. Have I done enough? Can I do more? What do I need to do to complete this goal? I suspect everyone reading this has done this from time to time. Which gets me to thinking, is that a wise thing to do? I mean we all need goals, right? What else do we have to drive us to do or be better?

I guess my thing is, when we fail to achieve our goals is that the catalyst for doubt within ourselves? When we fail to meet a goal, does that mean something within us is flawed? Or is it simply that placing such expectations on ourselves what is flawed? 

I'll be honest, these are questions that I cannot answer right now. All I do know is each time I make a goal the victory seems hollow somehow. Maybe the goals I'm setting are flawed or maybe what I consider success really isn't.

To be continued. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living