Finding The Broom

Being an analyst in the business tech field, it's my job to keep up with trends in technology. So like most folks in this "information age" I'm flooded everyday with something new to read. I remember a number of years ago speaking over the phone with a remote technician about an IT problem I was having at work. I was just starting my studies in the field, so after he resolved our problem, I couldn't help but ask some advice. The one thing he said to me that stuck to my brain was, "In IT you never stop learning, there's always a manual or text you have to read." And through my studies and work, I've discovered he was right. You never stop reading.  

While I'm more than sure most of us in any analytic field seem to be overwhelmed with data. The problem comes when we are looking for space to put all that information. There are any number of business data solutions out there that thousands of vendors are selling. My concern here is the information we pile up everyday (literally and figuratively) on our desks and desktop screens. 

Maybe I shouldn't be the one writing this piece on clutter, because when I'm knee deep in a project, I am the worst at piling up stuff on my actual desk and desktop screen. You would think by now I'd learn a better way. Maybe it has something to do with being born with my foot in the door between old school paper filing and today's virtual storage. 

The point I want to bring out is, sometimes an old dog can learn a new trick. It's just he or she doesn't like doing new tricks. Still the thing is don't get so caught up in doing things just one way. An example could be, while I still stick relative notes and information to my desktop for quick assess. Once that project is over and my desktop screen has so much attached to it you don't recognize the image behind it. It's time to pull out the broom. 

So I sent part of my morning filing away papers, notes, and information that I used on a few projects I finished up. Now I have a clean pallet to "trash up" the next time. I guess the point to all this gibber/gabber is, don't allow things in life to pile up. Create space for the things you "need", and don't be afraid of putting some things in the trash. If you ever need it again, I'm sure someone has a copy in their pile somewhere. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze