What You Believe & How It Really Is

Just last night I finished an ebook that I honestly didn't think I would finish. Not that it was boring (maybe a bit long winded), still it was informative and interesting. The book is by Steve Stossel and it's titled My Age of Anxiety (I put a link to Amazon here if you want to see it). The book is about Stossel's life dealing with anxiety and a bit of a history lesson in on how the world has dealt with depression and anxiety. 

While most of my reading on the subject has dealt with, for lack of a better word, relief of anxiety and depression. Stossel's book goes more into an almost academic look into the history and thinking of depression and anxiety. So if looking for relief, I'd suggest sticking to the great works of Thich That Hanh. Still for those of us that have suffered from anxiety and depression, it is a good read for the more logical side of one's thinking. 

My point here in discussing this is when dealing with anxiety and depression, while it takes a toll on our emotions. Looking at it from a logical or academic standpoint in itself can be comforting. It allows you to see that as with most any affliction there are various causes and remedies for it. And, that there are no one-size-fits-all cures to anxiety and depression.

The one very important point that Stossel makes in his book is that, one of the major effects of anxiety is the self critical factor it can bring. The constant self criticism that even I experience can be crippling. But as was pointed out to Stossel and even to myself by friends and doctors is that, while suffering from this can be debilitating. There still are bright lights in our lives that can show us, on many occasions we can overcome the effects of anxiety and depression. So that even with the halo of anxiety over our heads, we can still achieve what we dream.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze