How To Use A Rearview Mirror

Recently I was filling out a health questionnaire for a doctor. While I wanted to be honest as possible with my answers, many of does answers I was not very proud of. I'm sure that most everyone reading this can agree there are many areas of our lives we could have done a better job. 

As I grow older, I'll be honest and tell you, I don't feel old. But when I look at old photographs of family and friends I often ask myself, "when did they get so old?" The ironic part of that question is, they probably say the same thing about me. Yet life and death are all part of the cycle. I guess when we were younger 50 looks like a very far away thing. It isn't until you get to that mile marker and beyond that you realise some of the stupid shit you have done. 

This brings me to the point of how to correctly use a rearview mirror. In this instance the rearview mirror is all of us looking back at those victories and defeats in our lives. We are bound to have a few of both, yet for whatever reason we usually tend to focus on the defeats. Things like that job we didn't take or that stupid choice we made to leave college. At some point those mistakes come back to bite at our memories and self esteem. 

It is at these moments of regret and variability that we continue these patterns. In your car the rearview mirror is there as a warning of things coming up on you. It's not meant to be used to drive the car, to do that you have to look forward, not behind. Too many times we limit ourselves by what is in the past. "I can't do this or that, because I failed at it ten years ago."

In 2007 if I had thought there is no way to restart my college education at 45. Then I wouldn't be two courses away from my MBA or have a Bachelor's of Science degree on my wall now. You see, no matter what is in your past you have the power to correct those mistakes. Don't let mistakes of the past limit what you can do now.

Lastly, be mindful that this takes effort. No good thing comes without work on your part. Too many times I've sat all alone wondering do I have the fortitude to complete this task. Even now as I take a break from school those questions still cross my mind. Here's the thing, give it your best effort. If you fail, don't let that drag you into despair. Your rearview mirror is a warning indicator, not an image display of your failures. 

Stay in the present and move forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze