What Keeps You Up?

I'm not one with great sleeping habits, as my wife can attest. No matter the hour I go to bed 10, 11, or 12 pm, I usually pop right up around 3 to 4 am. This doesn't mean I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed ready to go. It just means for whatever psychological / biological reason I simply wake up. 

Tonight being no different than any other here I am at 3:29 am wide awake. Usually I've settled to make practical use of my time by reading or checking the news on my tablet. But tonight seemed to be special due to my anxiety being up a bit and my body refusing to let me relax. 

It's funny how this thing works , while I may have read up on all the latest about a particular thing I suffer from and have tried out the latest methods of treatment. It still doesn't prevent the condition from sometimes dominating your life. By that I mean, my heart can get a bit racy and a part of my mind starts running all the worst case scenarios it can. Still I know what's going on, it's my anxiety driving that little gland near the bottom on my brain into overdrive.

Yet being equipped with all this knowledge, relaxation techniques, and medication, here I lay typing at 3:43 am. So what do you do? Please, don't flood my email account with the latest and best treatment options or graduate to a higher calling of handing out spiritual advice. I've been dealing with this since 1999 and believe me I could write a book on my adventures. 

One thing I will say has been the most freeing thing to my situation. Deciding to be honest with myself and my family that as a husband and father I can't do it on my own. Being honest about my limits hasn't been the easiest thing to do personally or professionally. But it does let the air out of the elephant in the room.

So I guess the question now has to be, what keeps you up? I guess I can take comfort in the fact I know what does. Good Night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze