The Imperfection Of My Perfection

One of the ticks you can say I have, as well as many others, is my need for perfection. Perfection itself, I guess isn't a bad thing. I guess the problem comes from the idea that everything we (I) do has to be perfect. So many times during my work and school career, I have found myself disappointed even when the results were good. Just thinking about that for a moment is kinda sad, because of all the joy I robbed myself of because I want things perfect. 

I can sit here and quote person after person, that has written about the anchor of perfectionism. But what I want to do is write how this anchor has weighed my self image down. On more occasions than I care to count, I've robbed myself of the simplest pleasure of doing well and achieving something. When I earned my Associates degree a few years back, my advisors were so happy because of the many hardships and problems I went through to earn it. 

Looking back, I should be ashamed of my reaction simply because of the hollow unsatisfied feeling I had. You may say, that feeling was simply the drive you felt to achieve more. In a way, that may be true, but still I can honestly say I cheated myself out of the pleasure of that victory due to my perfectionism. 

I guess my point in all this is, don't rob yourself of the little victories. Maybe you just signed a small contract that pays a small commission. Or got nothing but a small thanks from a client about a simple question they had. The thing to remember is, it's not always going to be a Kentucky Derby win. Each little victory builds upon the other to create something that while it may not be perfect, they can be something that is pretty close.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze