Seeing What Sticks

I think of myself as a big picture kind of guy. I can look at a situation at a given number of feet above it, and can usually see an answer to the problem. Or in some situations I can have a great idea and even plan out many of the steps. The place where I run into the most trouble is, staying true to the course and following through. While I'm sure a lot of you out there have the same problem, do any of us have a solution to our shortcoming?

At times I have so many things running through my head, I lose track of which thought goes where. And while I can be laser focused on discovering an answer to a problem. The answer usually only comes when I walk away from it in strange moments of clarity. Being this way is why I choose analysis as a career. Honestly, I don't find myself attached to running a business as much as I love the challenge of solving a problem. That may sound a bit "weird", but in all honesty it's the challenge of the hunt, that attracts me.  

My title to this is, Seeing What Sticks. It's a term I learned a long time ago from an old friend, that mentioned that sometimes you just gotta throw a pile of shit at the wall to see what sticks. What I get out of that is you look at whatever idea you may have and seeing if that idea works or sticks to the wall.

We so often hear sayings like that that effect us in various ways. Even silly ones like my old friends has a grain of truth to it. So you may now be asking, "how does all this tie-in together?" Well, when looking at things from 35,000 feet or from 35 feet for that matter. Don't limit your thinking to the most common or standard of things. Sometimes it takes a splat at the wall to see what sticks and in that splat you may find your answer. 

Another point to bring up here is, when so absorbed in discovering an answer you put yourself into a fog. Sometimes (or a lot of the time) if you walk away (like I've done with this post) the answer will come. So go ahead and see what sticks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze