Hello, Is There Anybody In There

Anyone my age or who has a decent taste in music (in my opinion) knows where that line comes from. It's the opening line to Pink Floyd's, Comfortable Numb. I was looking through my Facebook and About.me pages when the thought came to my mind how we as humans desire some kinda connection to one another. In my college studies I was made more aware of the fact that humans are  tribal and social creatures. It's something we can't help, it's in our DNA. 

Even the "lone wolves" out there that don't see other humans for weeks or months at the time, need some social interaction. If for nothing else but to barter and trade wears. The old saying still holds true, "no man is an island." But in this age of social media and instant messaging it seems our desire to be noticed has grown more and more. With the continuing ease of smartphones and apps, we are constantly photoing, posting, and texting our life histories, 140 characters at a time. 

Now I'm not going to sit here and judge that any of this is a bad thing. If anything I'd simply give a warning that too much information can be just that, too much. While the information age has opened so many doors for so many people like me, where I was given the opportunity to finish college online. Or to keep in touch with many new friends and loved ones through social media. The problem can be that, our presentation becomes who we are. 

I like to think of myself as a pretty straight forward individual. When speaking, I like to keep things light, even when making a point. By no means Am I rich or remotely famous (not when you have only 30 followers on Twitter). But I take my role as a dad, husband, friend, and businessman quite seriously. (You'll notice businessman is last.) Putting up fronts and dressing to impress may display some outward sign of accomplishment. But what does it really say to anyone? 

Doing the best job you can is a good start. Being the best parent you can, being the best employee you can, doing your best. Oh, people will try and take advantage, your kids will try to walk all over you. But being your best has nothing to do with being a push over. It does have everything to do with being moral, ethical, responsible, and fair.  

So I guess a just ending to this would be to present yourself honestly. Don't be afraid to fail. Lord's knows I've tried several business ventures to support myself and my family. Another thing, don't be a complainer or whiner. If you can't offer an alternative and a civil argument to something you disagree with, don't full up my Facebook page with your complaining, please. Be uplifting, be compassionate, be happy. Be anything but fake.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living