You Don't Have To Walk Alone

As some of you may know, I live with a condition that at times can cripple me. It's a condition that I manage well most days and poorly on others. But like with so many other illnesses and situations, you have choices; you can choose to do your best with it or you can let it rob you of the simple pleasure of living life. 

Despite this limitation I do my best to live my life as much as I can. Not everyday is wine and roses, but I have a great little circle of family and friends that encourage me. So what else can you ask for? My reason for the title and for this post in general is to let you know, we don't have to walk alone. Other than being just good advice, allowing others to share in the situation offers a certain amount of comfort in knowing you are not alone. 

For too long I suffered without allowing anyone to know I suffered in silence. This went on for many years, until about a year ago when my suffering came out loud and clear. Those five days in the hospital and the continuing recovery, have forced me to see one main thing. That suffering alone is a selfish process that can serve to only build a wall of self-pity and isolation. It can also build within us a distorted sense of needless pride. That at some point while we may think we need it, it's really only an excuse to drown deeper in self-pity and self-loathing. 

Now many of you reading this may not have this bad situation in your lives. But each of us at some point or another do find yourself at a place where a helping hand would be nice. So if we can get over that pride we sometimes carry. You'd might be surprised to learn that others will help you, not out of a sense of pity, but out of compassion. Compassion that might be really saying, I been there and I know.

In closing, another thing I've discovered is that by being honest and allowing others in. I have created a network where I can reach out to others that suffer like myself. I've learned to turn my pain and perceived weakness into a beacon of light for others. By displaying my weakness I'm not simply displaying my faults for the world to see. I'm showing a path to recovery for others to see through my story. I may not have recovered fully as of yet, but by sharing you give of yourself and allow others to share back. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living