What We Are About

This morning I was checking my about.me page (the link I put in takes you the intro site, not mine). I have found that it is a nice way to introduce yourself to a more global audience. Through the site I've introduced my work to a very diverse group of individuals globally. And, at the same time it's allowed me to get to know individuals from across the world. 

For the past year it has been an interesting journey. For many the site is an introduction to the world of business, for other it's a place to express their dreams and desires. When you join (for free) you can set up a page that you can upload images, put in a brief bio, and insert links to your other various sites or ventures. Other than putting in links to my various other ventures, over the last number of months, I've changed up my bio section to express a more personal line. 

My reason for doing so is to simply tell a little more about who I am (now this is a link to my page). The thing I've discovered over the years is that people in general have much more in common than they ever do different. When on the surface I see a young East Indian man holding a small child in his arms. I don't just see a fellow dressed in traditional Indian clothing with the small child dressed the same, I see a proud father holding his beautiful little daughter. Do you see what I'm getting at? 

Rather in a business, or personal, or even a political settings, when look across at another individual what do you see? Being human we can't help but see the culture, skin, and clothing of that individual. The real key is pushing ourselves beyond our social norms at the differences we see, and asking ourselves what is our commonality. I'm sure this is something everyone has heard for years, but it never hurts to remind ourselves of it every now and then. 

When I watch news commentary on all sides of the political fence. It breaks my heart to see otherwise smart and compassionate individuals tear at each other and over what, a desire to win an argument? Yes, debate is good and yes, individuals of different lifestyles and cultures will disagree. I could spin this on and on, but I think you get my point. The best way to deal with difference in whatever arena is to find similarity or common ground.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living