It's What's On The Inside That Counts

Recently I've been struggling with a few issues that I had thought I was done with. But when dealing with some of the chronic issues that we all do, sometimes you can get a little lazy. But that is just us being human, believe me I'm the last man on earth to be pointing fingers. 

Motivation, drive, and desire are all things that come from deep inside one's self. But at times there are other forces at work within us that are just the opposite. It is this give and take that I'd like to mention in this post. Being the social animal that we are, it can be really easy to just "follow the herd", if you will. I honestly admit that in certain aspects of my life I do just that and follow the crowd. 

In saying that, in order to excel you have to possess a certain amount of drive, motivation, or talent to break away from the crowd. For some, this isn't a problem. There are individuals out there that through whatever process naturally excel and you know, that's okay. I mean down deep I won't say I don't have an envious thought or two towards them. The point here is for most of us, we have to dig a little harder in our efforts. 

With that said, for others, including me, the push to standout requires even more effort and drive. For us the struggle with internal forces like stress, depression, or low self-esteem, is a ongoing issue. Just developing the motivation to get up is a monumental victory in itself. If I were pressed to give some hard learned advice here, I would say. The secret to pushing through is "to take on struggles in bite-sized pieces." "Trying to do too much is simply going to choke you." 

I guess in a roundabout way, what I'm saying here is, your internal dialog has a lot to do with how things turn out for you. You can simply follow the herd and live a reasonable comfortable life or despite whatever crap you've been dealt, truly believe there is more. For us wishing isn't going to make those goals happen. What works is sweat, fear, overcoming yourself, and becoming uncomfortable. 

The path of the herd is broad and flows easily, while the path to your dreams is a tightrope that hangs over your doubts and fears. Either way, you can survive but, will you thrive?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living