Manufacturing Dissatisfaction

I am one of those people no matter what I was doing, I'd always end up getting dissatisfied with it at some point in time. Now granted some of those times I was justified, like when worked as a security guard or a stocker in a grocery store. It's not that these jobs are beneath me or not valuable. It's just that after a time they presented no challenge, they were just jobs.  

I'm sure I'm not the Lone Ranger when I say I've felt like that on a number of occasions with a number of jobs. At some point each of us gets the feeling that we are becoming drones to some far away queen bee. We sit or stand and do are repetitive task all the while dreaming of what we could be doing at our dream job. 

I believe one point my heart wants to drive home here is each of us has to work in order to survive. The difference is what do you bring to the table that gives you peace and satisfaction? A lot of times we get caught up in the idea that work has to be this perfect combination of challenge, passion, and gratification. But you know what, it doesn't always work out that way. 

There are times when work is a drag. For example, writing this blog post. Some days the ideas and thoughts flow so fast that my poor two finger typing skills can't keep up. But then there are days when all I want to do is hide under the covers and simply turn the world off. It is in those times when I uncomfortably force myself to write. Yesterday's post being a great example of that. 

Over the past number of years I have read so many self-healing, self-motivating, self-help books I believe I could poop self-help. While I've gotten a few nuggets of information out of these books, the core of most each one still rings hollow with me. Meaning, that I know believing in one's self is a key component along with carving out your own path. But the idea that success can only be measured by what you have in the bank, to me is just BS. 

When I measure myself (and we all do) by the bank account, then frankly success for me is sorely lacking. But if I measure my success by having a strong 27 year marriage, four young adult children whom each are carving out their own lives. Then I'd say, I've been pretty damn successful. 

Maybe the point I'm stressing here is, don't allow manufactured dissatisfaction to steal the joy and passion you now enjoy. Hey, life ain't perfect and it's never going to be. (Much like that sentence.) But like I said in an earlier post, you play the hand you're dealt. Life consist of many layers, while the outside may look a bit rough. Down deep there can still be the sweetest fruit you ever tasted.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living