The Ethics Of Being You

The other evening I got an offer to join a firm as a consultant with their company. We have been discussing this for a few weeks now and the business appears to be sound and can be a great benefit to myself and to potential clients. So as I weigh my decision to work with this company, my mind has been wondering, how do my ethical standards jell with theirs? 

I say this because on too many occasions I've found myself at odds with employers and partners over pitching and selling a product. To be honest though, the problem could be me. I mean one thing I hate is a salesperson who just appears to be hawking their wears. Giving off the impression once the sale is final it's "good-bye turkey, see you when I see you". It makes me wonder, does sales have to be seem like such a dirty business? 

Some of you maybe wondering, if you have those thoughts, why get involved in sales? Take an office or factory job and punch a clock and put in your eight and go home. Well, the thing is I've done that, and pretty much every time I have it bored the hell out of me. So you may now say, well the economy could tank at any minute, remember the last five years? Selling may seem dirty, but hey, it keeps the lights on and puts food your belly. 

I guess the thing I'm coming to is, despite what my mind feels. Sales is how businesses make business. Even that factory job has to have a sales force to keep the assembly lines moving. Maybe my point should be, to be ethical and honest when dealing with others. Another point is to be enthusiastic about the product you sell. You can't sell it if you don't believe in it. 

I don't know if anyone out their will get anything out what I'm saying here, but maybe that is the point. To sell with you standards high. To be as ethical and honest with the client as you'd want them to be with you. Sales doesn't have to be a dirty word or profession. Ethics is the key to building trust, and trust then builds confidence, and confidence creates success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living