Little More Like Grandma

St. Andrews Beach - Jekyll Island

I haven’t long finished supper (dinner) and just took my seven o’clock medication. After a dinner I try to make a habit of not eating anything else. I suppose that all got started when I moved in with my Grandma Geiger. After my separation and eventual divorce, I moved in with my grandmother, (it’s sorta a Geiger tradition).

We had the standard agreement, I'd buy her treats (candy, soda, takeout), took her on errands, and mowed the grass. She provided home cooked meals, a comfortable bed, hot showers, and conversations about my personal life rather I wanted to hear them or not. Like I said, it’s a Geiger rite of passage. Anyway, just before dark it was a tradition to have a bowl of Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, milk, and a spoonful of sugar.

Laying here now looking out at the sunset, I’m reminded of the crazy conversations me and that woman would have over our bowls of cereal. She would pass on the me her decades of experience. Her crazy old sayings like, “Can’t never could” or, “You can’t get blood from a turnip”. (Never could figure out that one.) But the most wonderful part was, she listened. I mean really listened. Oh she was going to give you her opinion, but she’d sit right there and let you get if off your chest.

These are trying days, the left is pissed with the right, and the right couldn’t be happier or more paranoid. So to keep the peace, we all just quit talking to one another. Still everything that came out of my Grandma’s mouth, came from her heart. You may not agree with it, but her words were sincere and non-judgmental. And for someone in pain, sometimes that’s all you need. Let’s all be a little more like Grandma. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze