Layman's Terms

I'm sure we have all heard the word's in this title used before, layman's terms. It usually means, "break it down into words I understand." It's a term I know quite well to describe what I do. I run a little one-man-show that basically does that, breaks things down to terms that laypeople can understand (or at least that's what I try to do). I work as a Systems Analyst, my particular focus is on IT systems and software design. But, I can use my analysis training to breakdown and analyze other areas of IT and business. 

My point in mentioning this is to discuss a void that seems to exist between software creators and those that use it. Spending the better part of my college life & career learning the in's and out's of system requirements, getting to know the stakeholders, and defining what end users want and what programmer's can give 'em. My job is to basically translating terms between stakeholders and programmers. Sounds like fun doesn't it? Sometimes it's like translating between two bitter enemies sitting across a table from one another. 

I guess my whole point here is, "how about us all just getting along." 

Most all the time software development is trial and error. It's develop, test, and develop some more. So as users of the software, don't be afraid to tell us if it doesn't "feel" right. And at the same time, designer don't become so "upset" when the "stupid" (they said it, not me) user doesn't get your design. 

I'm not sure why I'm venting this, it should be in my lap a why design don't work. Still, it's all about communicating that allows ideas and creation to flow. So as you look for solutions to a system flaw or additional requirement you may need, remember. No program is any smarter that "does" who design it. 

Well, I feel better now.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living