Motivation, How Hard it Can Be

As a note, this was originally posted in a private blog on my Phoenix Connect page, that can only be assessed by students and alumni of UoP. But I thought it was worth reblogging here for a wider audience. It's about keeping yourself motivated in an online setting. Considering how much many of us spend doing just that at work, I thought some here would find it interesting.  

Looking back, it's kinda sad and shameful on my part to not have posted on this blog for 5 months. This was the first blog I posted to, and is what got me motivated to start working my other two blogs and website. I guess when we let it, we can get distracted and take for granted our first loves. Which is what was crossing my mind when thinking back on my educational history.

I started my journey what UoP back in October 2008, wow, that's been nearly 6 years now. To look at my educational journey, some things haven't changed much on the surface. I'm still me, still a bit overweight, still wear the same types of clothes my kids hate to see me in, and still have a laugh with those I meet. What has changed are the things I carry inside. The confidence I now have, the skills to drive my career as an analyst, my ability to lead teams, and my determination to finish things through. These are the things I'm most proud of that I've gained with my education here at UoP.

I guess the point I want to drive home with this post is, what was the most difficult part of my journey with online education? I guess I could list any number of topics and a few I listed in the above paragraph. But those are things I learned, my point is what did I have to muster up within myself just to begin. For me the hardest part to online learning was motivation. If your just beginning your educational journey or if your a vet at it like me, I would think gathering up the motivation to open the ecampus site after 12 hours at work, then kids is the hardest thing to do.

Thinking back to '08, that first class was so exciting, then after a few weeks and realizing the work I was having to put into it, the new was quickly wearing off. There were times when I thought of quitting, and there are times I thought of failure. But as time passed and with each new course, I was getting one step closer to my goals. To now can proudly say, I hold a Bachelor's Degree and I am a Phoenix.

What many of us don't realize when begin this journey is, the journey is part of the education. I mean, like everyone else I wanted a good career, but when you really think back, you end up with a lot more. Some of the true cynics out there are crying things like, "You end up in debt or did I really get anything?" That's fine for some that's all you see. Still, for a few of use I got to see a dream come true that I worked for, and what else does an employer want more than an employee with drive?

So as I conclude this bit of advice remember, stay focused on your goals, nothing worth while comes quickly. And, no matter where look for what motivates you into being better than you are now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze