For Whom the Bell Tolls

This post isn't so much about the Hemingway novel as it is about a free app. A monastery in France called the Plum Village have a app you can download that gives you a bell reminder to stop and briefly meditate at whatever time you set it. For a number of you sitting in front of a computer or smart phone reading this may think of it as just another annoyance to your already busy day. 

I myself think of it as a gentle reminder that every now-and-again you need to be told that being in the present is the only place to be. I've used the app for a few days and in that little time I've discovered it is a great tool for allowing me to "stop and smell the roses." You see, one of my problems has been never feeling satisfied at whatever place I am at. 

Whether  it's been a job or class or state of mind, I never seem to be able to satisfied. Now that in itself, that's not a bad thing. But, it can become a bad thing when it takes you from the here and now. Which in a way that's what I did, I run from one new thing to another, instead of planting my feet and finishing the journey. 

So when the bell tolls, it reminds me to breathe in and to breathe out and to focus on what's in front of me no matter what that thing is. I can think of a few friends I keep up with, that I nearly run out of breath, just following on Facebook or LinkedIn. I could not imagine actually following them for a day, and believe me that was not meant as a compliment.

A prime example of what I'm talking about was just this morning, when I sat in my porch rocker and looked toward the pre-dawn sky. With it's baby blue and pink colors, each one welcoming the day. 

Even now, I can hear your criticism before I publish this saying, well I'm glad the mornings all "rainbows and puppies" for you. But I got kids to get to school, then I drive thru 75 traffic lights to get to a work. Where my boss, who just drove thru 78 traffic lights, behind a garbage truck, just to see me behind a mountain of invoices, he wanted done yesterday.

Believe me I know, I've been there. 

My point to this is, to not allow the past or the future to overwhelm you.

Yes, your 30 minutes from work and it's 15 minutes till time to start. So breathe.

The deadline can't be met due to yet another delay in shipping. So breathe.

These things happen to us everyday and even I still lose it. What we've got to learn to do is remain in the moment. Is being in the moment easy? No, it isn't. Not until you commit yourself to the idea. Then the idea helps you in so many ways. It helps with the fear, the anxiety, the tension, the focus, and the concentration

All I can say is it works for me and while I'm not perfect at that's okay, I'm allowed mistakes. And you are too, the whole point to being in the now is being where you should be. Not in the past and not in the future. But where you are in this moment.      

Comments

  1. Thanks for that article. I wholeheartedly agree, although it makes no difference whether I do or don't - but that's another matter entirely. Funnily enough I think a lot of people will think of the "Now" and living in it as some form of esoteric, spiritual or esoteric nonsense; as you've pointed out, there are still 75 red lights on your way to work.
    On the other hand, if one stops and reflects, then probably nobody will die if a deadline is missed, a shipping doesn't arrive, or the TPS reports have the wrong cover page. Most of us take ourselves much too seriously, and until one gets a glimpse of understanding about this journey as a human, the red lights are all that count.
    Glad that this doesn't seem to apply to you - have a wonderful day and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze