Only As Good As What You Use

A little while ago, I sent an email to an old friend whom I haven't spoken with in a while. His name came across my radar, so I decided to drop him a line. That may seem to be a bit old fashioned, but in this busy crazy world we live, dropping a little note seems to me a perfect ice breaker to unthaw a cooled relationship. 

As I was lightly updating him on how things were, at the end I dropped a few lines of hard learned wisdom. I am not sure why I feel the need to do this with younger people I know. It just seems to come out of me, like it's a requirement of getting your AARP card or something. 

After I finished my masterpiece of a note (at least I thought so), I sent it hoping to find him and his family well. After finishing, I had no real urgency to write a post here, but thinking about my habit of dropping unsolicited advice, I thought, "lets see where this goes". So here we are. 

So here I am, thinking about some of the advice I received over my lifetime, as compared to some I've given out. Some people may say I've given out way more than I received (especially my kids). But to be honest, at least in my mind, I believe I'm pretty much gotten way more than I have ever given out. 

Still it's not the quantity of advice you put out, it's the quality of that advice that matters. Another point you can add to that is, how much of your own advice have you taken? Now there is the kicker. Advice to me is something you put out as a warning to others to not do the stupid I have done. Which allows those that know you well to instantly answer the question I mentioned earlier. 

I guess the whole point here is, giving advice is alright. But living that advice, now that is an example no one can question. So live your truth.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living