Our Potential?

Forgive me if this gets a little jumbled, but this didn't come to my mind until after reading few about.me bios. Looking over the introductory statements of many of the about.me pages I come across, I noticed something interesting. A vast majority of those profile/introductions always mention that they (person who wrote it) are still growing and haven't reached their full potential yet. 

On the surface, it's such a common statement that you may simply not notice it. But for whatever reason the words stuck out in front of me like a neon sign in a dark alley. Seeing all these individuals from across the world making the same profession that their potential got me wondering. What if you made it to your fullest potential already, what do you do then? 

Maybe I'm being a bit silly or I heard this conversion sometime back, but at the moment I feel it's a valid question to ask. Along with the follow-up question, why do you feel your best hasn't happened? Remember, I warned you earlier this can get jumbled. 

I guess the first thing I should try and understand is what is potential? Dictionary.com says that potential is: possibility; being capably of or becoming. Which I found to be reasonable definition to the word. So from that meaning, one would guess that these people are saying, I have more to offer. Hey, I got nothing against that. To improve upon oneself is a major point in my writing these blogs.

Maybe the question I should be asking is, in my pursuit of becoming better, am I letting that pursuit override everything else in my life? That's not a bad question to ask, you read a lot about how in achieving fame many individuals have given up family life and other personal pursuits to reach a goal. I guess the question one should ask oneself is, are my goals or potential worth the cost to other pursuits in my life? 

Sometimes we chase a carrot on the stick so long and so hard, that we forget the reason we starting the chase in the first place. In my own life, for more years then I'm willing to admit, I've chased a dream to get a college degree. And, in that pursuit I given up time with my family, and time with myself. Still, two degrees (Associate's & Bachelor's) later, I only find myself pursuing a third (Masters) degree. Yet to be perfectly honest, none has caused me any satisfaction. 

In the song The Fly by U2 they stated that, It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success. I take that to mean we all have a need to be known or desired or admired. To the point that once we do find success, we simply leave it for the next thing to get us noticed. Sounds very familiar to me, how about yourself? 

If I had to pin down a moral to this jumbled little pile of words, I guess it would be. Dreams are good and their pursuit a noble cause. Just don't let that potential define all you are. See that your potential has a purpose and not just filling a void.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living