Progress

I freely admit I am a bit boisterous and loud, I guess that comes from my love of attention. What I didn't want people to confuse that with is that I'm egotistical or not genuine. The fact is yes, I'm loud, but at the same time I'm real and have a pretty good idea of who and what I am. 

To be honest with who you are doesn't have to be a bad thing. By that I mean, some would have you think having a handle on yourself and knowing your limits only limits you. That maintaining some unrealistic vision of yourself is what creates greatness. While I have nothing against confidence or setting goals. My point here is your goals and drive need to be in balance with who you are and what you realistically need to do to meet those challenges.   

Using myself as an example, in 2008 I was 46 years old, worked at a totally unchallenging job, and had tried and failed to continue my college dreams for 28 years. Still ever since my twenties I knew I could do anything I put my mind to, it's just that I allowed my fear and self doubt to rule my life. What planted the seeds of the changes that have taken place within my life was watching my kids grow up. 

I married my bride in 1987, we had our first child in 1988 and have had three more kids since then. As I watched each of them grew it planted seeds in my mind that while I told and hoped for good things from our children. What kind of example was I setting for them? How can I hope for better, when I myself settled for what I had? 

Well after a series of set-ups and setbacks I finally settled on the best school for my situation. Since that time, 2008, I not only earned my Associate's of Arts degree, I went on to earn my Bachelor's of Science, and now in 2014, I'm two classes away from my Master's of Business Administration. 

I realise from many out there, including a number of people close to me, that they either feel all this has been a waste of time and money. Or they have looked at me and said there is no way they were smart enough to do that. When I hear those things it makes me sad, not for myself mind you. But for individual who have heard nothing but the negative voice from within themselves.

Earlier I mentioned the unrealistic vision some people can have, well, that vision goes both ways. You can either place unrealistic expectations upon yourself that create a totally unrealistic image that lets you down every time. Or you can live under a cloud of unfulfilled dreams and live a half-life never living to your full potential. Both of these lives I've tried and I failed the one and did a good job failing the other. 

Living to be the best you can doesn't necessarily mean having a billon in the bank (although, I would bitch about it), or acquiring things and even having all your wants fulfilled. Living your best means being happy and satisfied with where you are or where you're heading. You can do this by looking within yourself and asking the question, is this all I am? If the answer is no, then find the passion you seek. 

Placed within each of us is a desire to become more than what we see. We are a curious lot driven the evolve, so why stay put when within yourself is the potential for so much more. Don't allow the hurt child within you to stop your progress.           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living