To Put on Airs

Before I started thinking about this post, I was looking at some of the individuals that had viewed my about.me page. As I was reading some my visitors bios, I noticed how some of these people wrote about themselves in the third person. For me it reads a bit weird, but for some English maybe a second or third language, so I try not to judge. Still to me, it's strange to read and even stranger to write when putting together a research paper. 

In a way it gives me the impression the person writing is "putting on airs", as the old saying goes. For the heck of it I decided to Google the term "putting on airs" what I found out it's an old saying about tooting your own horn. But to me, even more interesting was the word airs itself. When I Googled it besides being the stuff we breath or try to breath depending on your location, it means to "express, voice, or make public." 

I suppose my point here is, from my perspective I was raised to think of tooting your own horn as not cool. Now that may come from the abuse I felt as a child or my poor self image? Either way, it just feels right to allow your actions to define the greatness within yourself. 

Despite the image I present outwardly of a blustery wise ass, the idea that you speak through actions and not words was a value I could really see in my dad. While the man was by no means was perfect, as I make my way through life, more and more of what I thought were faults are turning out to be attributes within my father.

So maybe what I'm saying here is, confidence and belief in oneself is just fine, great even. Still allow yourself a dash of humility, because individuals that allow others to discover their greatness, are remembered far better than those who air it themselves.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living