At Least I Hope So

I usually don't write a whole lot about politics or moral issues, I find them to be very polarizing. Even to the point that, when someone has a valid remark to make, on either side of the political fence, it's usually drowned out by opposing political allegiances. 

As far as moral issues go, I was brought up to believe that smoking, drinking, and other vices were a sin to be purged in order to get closer to God. While at the same time I've met great religious thinkers that did some of those very things? So you can see in public I keep my views on things "close to the vest". 

My main reason for doing so isn't so much to avoid arguments (sometimes), as much as it's not the most important thing in connecting with other people. Last time I checked, we all live on a planet that's getting smaller every minute. Breakthroughs in communications and mass travel have made connecting to others across the world easier and easier. It has also created a need for each of us to be more tolerant of others cultural norms. 

Now I'm not saying that we should put up with violations to others basic human rights. What I am saying is, there are times when leading by example and not force is the best offense. Now I'm more than sure there are many of you out there that disagree and that's okay. Debates will start in the conference room to your left. 

I guess the thing that brought this whole conversation about is, over the past few decades the thing some envisioned as bringing the world together (the Internet). Has somehow drove us into an even more fractured society. 

I guess the thing for the next few decades to iron out is, as the globe becomes even smaller. We need to learn to be more accepting of others, and to realize we have much more in common than we do not. At least I hope so.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living