So This Is...

I don't think you need me to tell you the holidays are upon us. Especially since most stores have had their decorations up and Holiday music playing since Halloween. If you haven't figured it out yet I'm a pretty cynical person when it comes to holidays and other such things. I don't mean to be, it's just part of my generation (too young to be Boomers and too old to be Gen X).

In other words we watched our older family members either fight in or against the Vietnam War. Then as it went away turn mostly into individuals lost or abandoning their youthful beliefs. Which in a way helped develop this cynical outlook we "late bloomers" carry today. I don't mean to go off on a tangent there, but it just crossed my mind. 

Anyway, my cynicism about holidays didn't come about until much later in my life after my wife and I started a family. At that point, the holidays became more about them (kids) than me. You may wonder how that created the spark of cynicism you carry now.  Thinking about it, maybe it's the idea that the season feels forced on me. That only the worthiest of parents can truly give their children the best. That anything less is a let down to them and yourself. 

As I wrote does words I feel that I really struck a chord within myself I wanted to keep buried. But it is true, that even though your children love you, warts and all usually. It still stings to see others appear to dote on their children the things you can only wish you could for your own. So there to a point, is maybe my built-in cynicism of the holiday season.

I guess the next question I would ask is, "now that you see where that pain comes from, what do you do about it?" "Do you simply wear it as a badge of honor or do you allow yourself some closure?" "If for no one else, at least for yourself." Which at this point the answer would pretty much be, that damn song we all love to hate, "let it go."

If you still need a nugget of truth to come out of this post, I guess it could be. Don't let personal injury harm your soul when it comes to those you love. If your wife loves family and holiday cheer, great. Don't allow your cynicism to rob her joy. Think of it as given her a present. By giving of yourself to someone else is a wonderful gift to give. So maybe that's the point. Don't let the manufactured trinkets of the season steal the true joy of showing real love. 

Merry Christmas.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living