Emotions Value

Last night I watched an interesting video bio of a young artist whose music I love. The artist, Melody Gardot lived through a traumatic accident that still affects her quality of life. Yet at the same time it matured and redefined her outlook of music, art, and life. In the bio she spoke of how music, while important to her before the accident, helped her to reconnect with herself physically and mentally.

Watching this it reminded me of my own journey and how my illness separated me from who I was. In my long journey back to rediscovering myself and my passions, the treatment I was taking to manage my illness, had robbed me of so many emotions and in my life. It came to a point similar to Melody that I had to stop medicating the problem, so I could feel again.

What I have discovered since that time is the richness and passion of emotion that was lost while on that treatment. When I first ended that treatment my renewed emotions were all over the place. I had to relearn how to deal with sadness, happiness, and depression. Since then I will admit there have been setbacks. But being a little wiser and through the help of an experienced and good doctor, I’m now managing my illness the best it has ever been managed. You may ask, is everything alright now? Honestly I can say no, but now I have a much greater grasp of my situation and who I am.

To be honest, I’m not sure why I’m telling you this story. Maybe it’s just a thought to get out of my head or maybe someone needs to hear my story, I don’t really know? What I do know is life should be a parade of emotions. When our emotions are taken from us, we end up robbing ourselves of truly living life. Even when emotions get out of balance, treating the problem by wiping out all emotion doesn't solve the problem. It only creates new ones.

I guess the thing I have learned in the past sixteen years has been emotion is an important part of what makes us human. So to properly treat an emotional problem you have to look deep into yourself, watering the seeds of compassion and peace that we are all capable of producing. Then we can say to does seeds of fear and pain, “hey I understand you’re hurting and I’m here to love you too”. That is what brings about balance in our lives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living