An Anchor

I know none of you asked, but I’ll tell you anyway. I took the last cabbage out of the garden and I’m making cabbage and carrot soup. Cabbage, carrots, or about any hearty root vegetable will last a while in dark storage or the fridge and will definitely warm you up when it’s cool.

I suppose I bring this up because planting time is just around the corner. Although I already have onions and potatoes planted. Seeing that I grew up a suburban kid, that hated working in my old man’s garden I’m sure wherever he is, he’s laughing his ass off right now. As the decades pass it’s funny how you never thought you’d get to this age.

Right now I’m only a few years away from out living both my parents. That to me is a crazy thought. I don’t mean to weird you out, but in my situation, looking in a mirror every morning will do that to you. History and legacy don’t seem to be as important as they used to be. But I suppose my parents thought the same thing about us. At least I had my grandparents around till I was an adult. My kids only have one grandparent left and they never saw him very much.

All we can do as parents is raise our children as best we can. It just seems time didn’t drag by while raising them. It seemed each passing year flew by quicker than the last. So here I sit with children fast approaching their thirty’s. With me about the step into territory my parents never stepped. I don’t know how I stumbled into this by making soup. Other than to stress, take time to breathe and live in the moment. Be in the place where you are. Past on to your children a legacy and a memory they can anchor on too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living