The Easy Way

Jekyll Cheek
This morning like every morning I woke up turned on my laptop and login to the website No More Panic. Every other day I either sow a seed of encouragement to a now member or I tell a story about myself. For over six years, NMP is been my sanctuary a place where I can go the reveal my deepest fears. I mention this because for the past few years I’ve been very open in my public life with my struggles with both physical and mental health issues.

Recent tragic events have once again placed a spotlight on those of us with mental health issues. And to some extent that causes me alarm. Because lumping all individuals with mental health issues into one basket as no different than saying all Jewish people are cheap or that all African-Americans are lazy. Stereotyping is an easy way to make a group of individuals seem less than. My point here is quite simple, quit lumping others into some easy little basket. Because frankly it’s shameful and it’s wrong.

If anything we Americans should have gotten over this decades ago. Instead we allow the fires of hatred and division to stir the chamber pot once again. We look for excuses for our own failings and stigmatizing others as an easy a way to find a scape goat. Isn’t it about time to stop letting other people do the thinking for us? Isn’t it about time to go outside and actually get to know your neighbors? Cable news outlets (left & right) want nothing more than your attention and your money (commercials). Let’s start being kind to one another, it’s about time to let go of our prejudices and embrace the uniqueness we all possess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living