A Pinch of Salt

Sandra Burnsed
As usual I’m sitting here taking care of phone calls, setting up my wife’s medication, and catching up on my correspondence for the day. All the usual things we all have to do. Routines have their own way of making life normal. As human beings we tend to let pile on new things. Apart from most other animals, we seek out new things, we plan, we strategize, we more and more things on own plate. But is there a moment when enough is enough?

It’s not that the world has gotten more complicated as much as we have gotten more complicated. The influx of information and data can literally make your head spin. Looking at the news recently the company Cambridge Analytica has been popping up as a key player in targeting consumers with half-truths and focused targeting on their fears. Now in all honesty, businesses have been doing this for decades. The part that brothers me the most is the using of personal information without open consent of the individuals targeted.

To be truthful I don’t see any real conspiracy here other than Cambridge Analytica trying to make a dollar. The problem lies with us running so quickly to the feed trough when something tickles our ear. Social media companies want us to spill every detail of our lives onto their webpages. What we don’t realize is they take that information and basically sell it to the highest bidder. Earlier I mentioned routines here’s the thing, be mindful who you share your information with. A lovely comment or a happy emoji doesn’t always mean there is a nice person on the other side.

I know, I should be talking. My life is basically an open book online. The thing is go into whatever you do with an open mind. I for one don’t have a lot to loss, I basically have nothing of value to take. But maybe you do. Just be careful with the things you share and take information sent to you with a big pinch of salt.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living