Taking Care of Yourself


Why is it that I’m so physically exhausted when I come back from the doctor’s office? I mean isn’t a visit to the doctor for my well being? So why am I so tuckered out by the time I’m done? One of the problems that many of us with physical and mental health issues is the gulf that separates our physical and mental healthcare. I think that most medical doctors have only a baseline understanding of mental healthcare. While most therapist have a limited understanding of physical health.

I suppose psychiatrist are the bridge between the two. It wasn’t until a few years back when I began treatment with a psychiatrist, that I truly started getting relief for my mental health issues. He prescribed my current medication regiment and with a little tweaking it has worked very well. Today my cardiologist was concerned with the large amount of different medications that I take.

It got me thinking that maybe I should seek treatment from a psychiatrist again. If for nothing else but to see if I need a tune up. I mention this to make the point, most men, especially American men choose to ignore their health issues. My Dad was a prime example, my father basically drown in his own fluid. Because of congestive heart failure, fluid built up in his lungs and killing him.

And I should know, because I have the same problem. The difference is I am proactive in my treatment. Call it fear of dying, call it what you will, I plan on surviving. I suspect my father had a ton of underlying issues that were never treated. Mainly issues with his mental health. Call it proud, call it lack of understanding. The days of just toughing it out are gone. The pressures of this world are just too much. To ignore problems only makes them worse. So how about swallowing a little of that pride and taking care of yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze