Beginnings & Endings

Being out at the beach on such a grey blustery cold day, reminds me of the winters we would come here. Just the two of us and a rowdy pack of Canadians taking over the hotel. Sitting out in the freezing cold smoking cigarettes and our pipe around the pool. Plotting how we could snuggle cigarettes across the Canadian border and make a killing. All the while watching the snowbirds drive into and out of the frigid pool water.

The sun’s finally broke through for a little bit, warming my bones. Lisa’s out on the beach picking up washed seashells from yesterday’s storm. There’s still a wind and rip current advisory out, so most everyone’s power walking or fishing. I can’t do any of that as much as I used to. Between the driving, walking, climbing stairs, and need for a nearby bathroom. I’m limited to just people watching and taking a few pics. But that’s okay, because I’m back home, on an island that I have been coming to since I was a baby.

Sitting here looking out at the grey Atlantic is a memory. A very pleasant memory of a much simpler time. A time when we could take a day off and run down to the beach and sit among the driftwoods. Quietly reflecting on life while on St. Andrews Beach or marveling at the dunes of South Dunes Beach, without a soul around. But this isn’t just a tribute to an island, it’s a tribute to home, to a place and need to belong. I got a lot of odds stacked against me, not many friends or family left and the kids have even moved on. So in this quietness, it’s still nice to have a center. A relatively unchanging place, where the land and sea; life’s beginnings and endings meet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living