Its Own Reward


I suppose it’s time for me to get all sentimental about Father’s Day, but to be honest, I’m just not feeling it. Now I don’t mind getting sentimental about Mother’s Day; mainly because my wife being the polar opposite of me so looks forward to Mother’s Day. As for me on “my day”, I just assume it be another day.

Some of you pretty much know I’m not overly emotional. It was definitely not a trait I was brought up embracing. Now that doesn’t mean I don’t Love my kids (and yes, they’re still our kids). It’s just that if you think a specific day has to be set aside to remind you to say, “I Love You”. Then maybe you’re missing the point. You see, nearly 30 years ago, I had a lifetime job placed upon me. It was the job of raising a child. For better or for worst Lisa and I woke up every day with the responsibility of feeding, and clothing, and changing four little dependent souls.

Now I’m not saying this to say, they should be grateful till the day I die. What I am saying is being a Dad is something we should take on freely. Many years ago, in his own way, my Dad passed on to me the values he held. Without any complaining he worked himself to death at a factory to do all the things I tried to do some 30 years later. And it will be my greatest accomplishment that my children and their children do the same.

The thing is being a Dad is its own reward. Geez, I don’t need a day to remind me how great it is to be a Dad. Every day when my oldest son comes into the office and asks “What you doing?” Or our oldest barges in venting about what a crappy day she had. Or the youngest coming into the room and quietly saying “Good Morning”. Or even the free bird who’s raising her own monkey now, telling me about things I already been through. You see, it is those things are my reward.

Happy Father’s Day         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze