Pressure Cooker

Here in the US it's Father's Day a day set aside to celebrate Dads. Being the father of four and granddad of one, I've gotten my share of bad Father's Day gifts. Everything from socks and underwear, to gift cards to places I'll never go, to really cheap after shave. But my favorite gifts were always the cards they made while in school and the hugs, love the hugs.

My own family growing up was not particularly "hands on" friendly. It’s not that we couldn't stand each other. It’s just that we were not "huggers" or overly affectionate. But something kinda clicked when my own children came into the world, I slowly taught myself to hug. But just to be clear, when I say slowly; I mean after 28 years I still have to remind myself to show some affection. 

Anxiety and its by-product panic are kinda like a pressure cooker. As a kid I remember my mom used a pressure cooker a lot to cook and preserve (can fruit and vegetables). The thing that fascinated my young mind the most was the relief valve that sat in top. As the pressure inside built-up the valve on top would let out stream to keep the pressure inside under control. 

So often the stress of the day builds and builds creating stream in the form of stress and/or anxiety. Then when that anxiety gets to the point where we can't take it anymore the valve blows and things like panic pour out. One of the stressors’ in my life is the fact that I internalize my feelings. If at an earlier age I'd been taught a constructive way to express my feelings, then maybe? 

The point is do not hide your fear, anger, or love under a basket. Find yourself the right relief valve, so that when the pressure builds the whole thing won't explode and make a big mess of things.  Just a word of advice, Happy Father's Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze