Roadblock


For the past number of months I have been working on a book dealing with my early childhood. I would work on it for a while then shelve it, then work on it up again only to put it back on the shelf. While this may be a normal process for other writers, for me I tend to work in short bursts. Quickly losing focus on whatever idea I shelved. So for now that project sits in a file on the back of my hard drive hoping I won’t forget it. 


As I mentioned before many I have more than my share of flaws, among them is losing focus. It doesn't hurt when I'm producing short pieces like this one. But when I seek to produce a larger work like a novel, I think you can see the problem. The thing is if you want something bad enough, you work to overcome whatever roadblocks you face to achieve that desired goal.


While I have put this into practice on a number of occasions, it never hurts to remind yourself it’s a never ending process. Here’s the trick though, plans are never set in stone, not even solid plans like a road or a building. I’ve worked on too many construction projects to know, even the best plans require adjustments. So don’t be surprised or disappointed when the goal you seek doesn’t look like the vision in your head.


Now I’m not saying this to discourage you from dreaming. Just remember that sometimes that cute puppy in the window grows up to be a 150 lbs. chair eating machine. So plan carefully and be patient with yourself, just because your first idea failed it doesn’t mean the next one will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze