Strength in Numbers



Every day I after I get up check my sugar and take my daily pharmaceuticals; then I log on to my computer. First I usually check my emails then log onto social media to see how friends and family are doing. After that I usually log on to a discussion site for individuals like me with anxiety issues. I don’t mind telling you any of this because for one I want to be as authentic as I can. And two, because I just don’t care anymore what people think anyway.

The thing I really want to discuss is why this website has become a real positive influence on me. That is because I’ve discovered I am not alone in my suffering. The idea of strength in numbers is a great thing to have in most any situation. When working to overcome an issue; it’s nice to know someone has your back. For a long time I fought my illness alone; able to do nothing but hide under the covers and not be a help my spouse or my family. It wasn’t until I began treatment that I found a community of like-minded individuals that I could openly discuss my situation face-to-face. Through group and individual therapy most of my success came through knowing I was not alone.

Today while I’m not currently enrolled in any group sessions the fact that I can still log on and speak with like-minded people is a comfort all the same. You may not have the same situation as I (I hope not anyway) but building a support team around you as never a bad thing. At home and at work it’s a lot easier to motivate yourself and others if you have a team behind you to offer their support. While internal fortitude and self-motivation can be key to your success; having a support team around only betters your odds. So work to surround yourself with individuals who have your back and you’ll see that strength in numbers can be much better then standing alone.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze