A Loaded Word

Success for most of us can be a loaded word. According to Google Search success means, the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. As for myself, I used to think I had a fear of success. That was because each time it seemed I was near the brass ring, I simply spun by and missed it. What I’ve learned is that success is all in how you make it and manage it. For me this first meant realizing every small victory is a step toward success.

People used to ask me why at 45 years of age I thought it was a good idea to complete my college education. I mean logically the economy was knee deep in The Great Recession, the work landscape was rapidly changing from permanent to temp; and college ain’t exactly cheap. Still I went into this adventure with the hope of being successful.

At this point I could write a book about my life during my collegiate adventure. But to keep your attention all the point I need to make is, I walked out with my diploma and whole new attitude toward myself. While my original goal was to give myself a competitive edge in the working world, what I actually gained was a whole new way to look at myself and success.

The accomplishment of an aim or purpose, what should that mean to you or me? I know that for me it means watching my family grow and expand. Learning something new that I don’t know the day before. And to use my gift of expressing my thoughts onto this page to hopefully answer a question someone might have. These things and more all add up to what I define as success.

To put a pretty bow on this I suppose I should say, success is what you want it to be. It is what you work towards. Over time, I have learned, your idea of success will probably change and that’s okay. It’s the idea of being satisfied with who you are that is the most important thing.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze