Lessons in a Clogged Drain

We live in a fairly old house here in the country. So with anything that’s old, things go wrong and this week it’s the kitchen sink. No matter what we have tried it opens up for a moment and then clogs right back up again. As you may or may not know, I’ve just getting off the restrictions put on me by my cardiologist. Then on top of that I suffer from other issues that otherwise dampen a good day. But no matter what problems I personally deal with the sink doesn’t care.

Lying in bed the other night moping about my sad sink situation among other things I got me thinking. No matter how much I get down about my own situation: (a) the world ain’t gonna hand me a tissue to wipe my tears, and (b) that sink ain’t gonna fix itself. In other words, despite whatever situation you’re handed, the world just keeps turning.  Funny the lessons you can learn from a sink clogged with “God knows what”.

Life has an interesting way of teaching us the things we need to know. Things like, self-pity is actually self-destructive. And that if you don’t love yourself, you’ll never be able to truly love someone else. Lessons that we have to learn to be successful complete people. But most of the time we only see life’s lessons as nothing more than bad things that, “always happen to poor little old me.”   


 It took me way too many years to get this lesson. That while I may even have the right to all the self-pity I may feel. Sitting in that pool of self-loathing may feel fine for a while, but the only thing that pulls you out is the faith you have in yourself. So sitting here right now that damn sink may think it has won. But I hate to tell it. At some point here very soon I will beat it, even if it means calling a plumber.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze