Civility

As some of you may know my political tendencies lean to the right. I suppose I’m nothing more than an old school “Blue Dog Democrat”. This is all well and good in a world where people exchange opposing ideas with civility and respect. But this is 2016 and our information is spoon fed to us through the filter of sound bites and search algorithms. I mean, why dig through piles of critical information, when you can one-stop-shop, right? 

Listen, my point here isn’t to insult or belittle anyone else’s values. It’s simply to bring up the potential landmine of dealing with opposing views in a business and social environment. We’ve all been there, the social gathering where a friend or family member berates your values. Or the business-setting where a potential client throws a loaded question your way about your political views. It’s never comfortable and sadly enough it can lose your friends, family, and even business associates. 

People are always going to disagree that’s a fact of life. But in my 50+ years here on earth, I’ve noticed a total lack civility and respect being display toward others in recent years. Why is that? Why do we all feel the need to treat others views with such vile and contempt? 

I suppose social media can be blamed for some of it. But to lay all the blame on technology is sort of a copout. The blame should be laid at the feet of the people whom began the discourse. And, at the feet of us that can’t help but reply to the insults. I know, I know I’m putting a wet blanket on all the comebacks you’ve been saving for months. Besides he or she just insulted my most sacred view, I must reply!

The point I’m trying to make here is there is a time and place for such conversations. I believe in a business environment especially, tact is stressed and required. If nothing else at least from a common sense prospective, how are you ever going to win clients insulting their beliefs? 

If you’re like me and are tired of the “noise” out there then let’s take a moment and look first at our own speech and actions. What better way to affect others actions then by carrying ourselves with dignity and respect. So tomorrow when you walk by that cubical, you know the one, simply take a deep breath and do your job. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze