How Things Are

Of all the talks I give about taking steps and getting better one day at a time. I still ask myself, is this all it's ever going to be? I mean, have I gone as far as I'm going to get? When I reflect on moods like this, I'm often reminded of the U2 song The Fly and the line about ambition bits the nails of success. For myself that's saying that no matter where I am in life, no matter how successful, I'll never be satisfied. Am I making any sense here?

I guess the question I should ask myself is why can't I be happy with how things are? Does there always have to be a better tomorrow? Maybe it all goes back to the Buddhist tradition of focusing on the here and now, and letting tomorrow take care of itself. Even in the Christian tradition, you have the verses about consider the lilies, where they don't worry about the next day. Still inside myself I have this innate need to look beyond what I see in the mirror and want something more.

So I guess the question is, is that a bad thing? But I'm going to let that question hang for a moment. Because to be honest, my head hurts, my sinuses are on fire, and my wife (God knows I love her) just got through asking me something that just pushes the button. So I'll sign-out with this thought. I don't think improving our station in life is wrong. I think when that improving becomes an obsession, and then maybe it should be looked at and questioned. The key to this may simply go back to having a healthy attitude about ourselves first, then looking at ways to make things better.


What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze