Your Greatest Weapon

For those of us that have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder you find yourself becoming hyper-sensitive to the things going on around you. I suppose in one way that just means you’re paying attention. But for those of us with PD it can mean sleepless nights, excessive amounts of worry, and prolonged bouts of confusion. Even at this moment I’m fighting through an attack of panic. I can often tell when one is happening because of my shallow breathing, pounding heart rate, and just plain ill feeling. 

You’re maybe wondering why I’m choosing to write through this attack instead of just relaxing. I suppose my answer is, after putting up with this problem for so long I’d rather go down swinging than just cower in a corner. But while getting mad at the situation can help to motivate you. I’d also say that by recognizing when panic starts you can have the control by just allowing it to be. 

One method of overcoming panic is by seeing it for what it is and just floating through the process. This can be way harder than it sounds, but once a panic attack sets in see it for what it is and walk right through it. The thing is don’t give into the fear of having another panic attack by saying, “Oh no! I feel it coming again, I have to stop!” Instead recognize what is happening and walk right over the coals. Sounds simple right? Don’t worry you’ll fail on more than one occasion. I do. 

At the moment I feel better, I’ve discovered if I express my feelings during an attack I usually feel better sooner. Panic doesn’t have to be a death sentence, but you may have to rearrange a few things till you learn to manage it. No one’s prefect and when you learn to manage panic in one area, I guarantee it will pop up somewhere else. I’m not telling you this to cause you to dread the diagnoses. I’m telling you this so you will be informed, because knowledge is your greatest weapon when fighting a ruthless enemy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living