Branding Vs. Privacy

Earlier I was texting a young person from the Great White North who has started suffering from Panic Attacks. They asked was it normal to feel fatigued and light headed after a panic attack. I responded to them as only I could from my own experiences. I also recommended a book I got a long time ago that really helped me with my fight with panic. For a number of years I have spoken honestly to a select group of panic sufferers. It hasn't been until recently that I have talked about my situation with the general public. 

My reasons for keeping my Panic/Anxiety Disorder to myself are not much different then anyone else keeping their medical history to themselves. For one it's my business and two when dealing with a mental issue; the general public tends to have their own misguided opinions. When your livelihood depends on the public's perception of what you can do for them. You tend to want to keep any perceived weaknesses to yourself.  

Rather it's because of my recent health issues or the fact that I don't give a shit anymore, I decided to make my health issues public. For me being totally honest about my health journey has been a Godsend. All the stuff I kept tied up inside for so long can no longer hurt me much anyway. Now has my honesty hurt me in anyway? Moneywise yes, but that's only because of those misguided public perceptions again. 

My advice to anyone out there dealing with a similar situation would be to follow what your heart tells you. But along with following your heart, I'd also suggest listening to your logic and mind. Not everyone needs to know your business even if most think they should. There are very strict privacy rules out there, even though some medical offices and pharmacies haven't gotten the memo yet. The thing is we each have a brand to sell and for many of us maintaining a solid brand is very important. 

The thing is, it was my decision to make my issues public and it should be up to you to make your own decision. My reasons for going public were to shine a light on mental health issues, along with unburdening myself from long held stigmas. Your personal business is your business rather it be your life style choices or health issues. The world we live in sometimes forces us to make choices, but those choices don't have to expose our private business. For many of us our brand is our living, but letting others force you to expose yourselves is a crime.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living