That’s the Rub

If you watch enough television you will notice that pretty much every commercial is trying to sell you a cure for something. Rather it’s a rub to regrow your hair or a pill to give you a thrill; if you have a problem they have a solution. What I have learned is that with most every cure they throw at us; a whole other bag of problems usually show up at your door.  Most every problem we face starts with something within ourselves. A good example is my weight, because rather you know it or not I’m fat. 

Yes I know there are extenuating circumstances like childhood asthma and mental abuse that contributed to my weight. But the fact is I carried my weight through adulthood, and that with other life stressors put me into the hospital. I don’t say this out of self-hatred as much as I realize I got things to change. But isn’t that how it is with all of us? We see a problem and we want it fixed. 

While medicine can be a miraculous thing (I ought to know, I take enough), it is you and I that are the driving force to living fuller lives. No matter how many pills we take or creams we rub on, if you don’t gain an understanding of who you are. We will never get many better only more dependent on the medicine cabinet and the latest fix. My point here is simple. Avoiding the truth and not facing the fear only causes us to apply more Band-Aids. 

Life is far too precious to waste it not living the truth. None of us are perfect. Lord knows I could write a book on my shortcomings and sins. The thing is to recognize what those things are and either learn to live with them or work to make them better. And while we’re at it, let’s turn off that damn television every once-in-a-while, it's giving me a headache. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living